Writing in the time of COVID-19: Day Fifty

IMG_4784The mountain across the street was nearly invisible this morning as overnight rains threatened to overtake the weekend. Luckily, the rains stopped soon enough, and we were able to complete our afternoon walk without getting wet.

Yesterday, Lulu and I drove to Poipu on the south shore. It was work-related, but I took the opportunity to do a bit of a drive-about to get a feeling for one of the (usually) busiest tourist destinations on the island, and because we were driving by Costco, I popped in there, too.

Here are some observations:

• The Wailua bridge that was damaged in the big flood is re-opened. (Regarding the flood, see Writing in the time of COVID-19: Day Eight.)
  • A group is giving away free meals for those who need a free meal. They set up most afternoons, I hear, in front of the old Kapaa Fish & Chowder House—for those of you who remember where the Kapaa Fish & Chowder House once was!
  • Small Town Coffee truck still closed.
  • There was no line of people outside Ono Family Restaurant or Kountry Kitchen.
  • Kapaa shops are still closed (but many re-opening soon). I didn’t have to stop and let anyone cross the street.
  • The only person I saw on the sidewalks was a woman who was hitchhiking, and she was wearing a mask.
  • Cars at the used car dealership in Kapaa are gone. The windows on the building are boarded up.
  • Our mango tree isn’t the only one delayed due to all the rain earlier this winter. I passed numerous mango trees with the whole of New England’s fall colors in their new leaf growth. We may get fruit, after all.
  • Spouting Horn parking lot was empty but chickens were aplenty.
  • My friend Scott was walking. He’s swapped roads for surf, as he heals a rotator cuff injury.
  • There were three or four surfers on the break off The Beach House restaurant. I’m sure there’s a name for that break. Maybe Scott will share it in the comments;-)
  • Not a snorkeler or a sunbather to be seen at Lawai Beach.
  • A few boogie boarders rode waves at Brennecke’s Beach.
  • The picnic tables at Poipu Beach stood empty.
  • By the time I swung back around to Costco, I had 55 miles left on the tank of gas I topped off on March 23rd. I went almost seven weeks without filling up. Gas at Costco was $2.55 per gallon. I’m getting 61.7 mpg in the Prius.
  • There was no line to get inside Costco. I’m not sure they’re even limiting the number of people who can enter. There was no toilet paper, but pasta is now available.
  • I can still identify friends, even when they’re wearing masks. Is it me or do friends seem super friendly these days?!
  • Honestly, none of it felt, at all, weird. The empty picnic tables? The empty beaches? Those felt right. It’s nice to be giving the island a break. We all need time to rest, including Mother Nature.

But what I really want to know is this: Who has the bleeping toilet paper!

Hawaii reported three new cases today for a total of 631. None of those new cases came from Kauai. We’re still at 21.

Be well.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Scott says:

Kim, you saw surfers at PK’s and Centers (not secret spots by any means, locally). Small, fun day with light afternoon winds. As for toilet paper, I know some “secret spots” but gotta keep it on the down low… ; )

1. Kim Steutermann Rogers says:

Of course, PKs and Centers. I should have remembered that. If we get desperate on the toilet paper front, I may hit you up for your secret spots! We’re good for now. Thankfully, I purchased a giant collection from Costco before the whole COVID-19 thing. They last a while!

2. Anne C. says:

I spent the day in south county, doing USFS work, on a supposedly closed trail. We encountered 20 folks who had simply ducked under the yellow warning tape, many of them saying, “Well yeah, we saw the Area Closed signs, but, we also saw *other people* heading up the trail.” We (with kindness) ushered them out. A Highway Patrol officer was giving, not exactly warnings, but notices that parked cars’ license numbers had been noted down and they might be receiving an up to $5,000 fine in the mail. (The notice is toothless, but the car owners won’t know that. Maybe they’ll spread the word.) All this “it’s not ME! this doesn’t apply to ME!” business is… well, unbelievable. And sadly, oh so American. As for the Kapaa group giving away free meals, I just wrote a bit about José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen / Chefs for America initiative–which makes me feel a lot happier, just knowing there are such giving and socially committed people in the world. This all is certainly NOT about HIM, but about people in need. Of which there are so many right now… I think I’ll go give a donation to WCK, while I’m thinking about it.

1. Joan says:

KPD, in partnership with a couple other groups, are giving out 600 meals on Saturdays or Sundays (check to be sure) through May at Puakea Golf Course.

1. Kim Steutermann Rogers says:

Yes, I’ve seen Chief Todd post about this. How wonderful. People helping people. Thanks, Joan!

2. Kim Steutermann Rogers says:

I learned long ago how people ignore signs, including those on the beach asking people to walk around a monk seal mom and her pup. And, then, there was the botanist who thought she had special privileges, because she was a botanist. Sigh. But, yes, the good people like José Andrés; I love hearing about people helping people. Thank you for sharing and donating!